Thursday, October 23, 2014

Benefits of Coffee


                                  Article: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/270963.php

Article Summary: According to a study shown in the journal of Nature Neuroscience, coffee can increase your short term memory after studying or a session, similar to studying before sleeping. A research team being leaded by Daniel Borota from the John Hopkins university took part in a study to determine whether coffee impacts memory by showing people of 18-30 years of age a series of pictures, then the next day they would be shown new pictures and tested to see how close the pictures were to the original ones they've been shown previously. The results came to find that those who took caffein were better at identifying pictures that were similar, but in terms of new and old pictures they found that both groups who did and didn't take caffein were similar. They continued these studies and concluded that at least 200 mg of caffein is required to see an improvement of memory.

Connections to health class: In heath class we learn about how certain substances affect our body in either positive or negative ways. Health class teaches us what to avoid and what to thrive for to maintain a healthy lifestyle, and this article connects to health class because it's suggesting to us that caffein benefits us and contributes to a healthy lifestyle. 

Question: How often do you drink coffee or other products that contain caffein? Does this article give enough information for you to determine whether or not you should intake more caffein? 




8 comments:

  1. Why does coffee act like a drug?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not drink caffeine very often. I drink it only about 2-3 times a month. Yes it gives me enough information about whether or not I should intake more caffine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I very rarely drink caffeine, the little caffeine I do take in from the occasional hot chocolate only contains 9mg vs the required 200mg to improve memory. The slight improvement in memory, in my opinion is not worth the other potential side effects such as; heartburn, insomnia and increased stress level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interting to know that coffee increases your short term memory. But I don't think that a cup of coffee will replace a good nights sleep. If it is recommended to study right before you go to sleep so when would it be recommended to intake that coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I very rarely drink coffee, but I occasionally do drink some sodas with caffeine in them (such as Coke, Pepsi, etc). Although 200 mg of caffeine improves short-term memory, there are much more negative than positive effects if you consume too much of it. Some examples of the harmful effects of caffeine include insomnia, indigestion, and headaches; therefore, I wouldn't risk taking in too much caffeine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I drink coffee nearly every weekday morning, but i don't usually drink many other beverages with caffeine in them. Coffee can be helpful to be more awake, or retain knowledge, but this article does not discuss all of the effects of caffeine. This article should not be your sole informant to wether or not you should drink coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't drink coffee or caffeinated drinks very often, just once every few weeks or once every month when I am outside and exposed to it. This article doesn't exactly give you a pinpoint on whether or not to take in more caffein, but more so gives you a positive aspect to caffein.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I personally love coffee and have drank it in moderation since I was little. Other then that I stay away form caffeinated sodas like Coke and Pepsi because by parents warned me of them when I was young and it was imprinted in my mind that it was bad for me

    ReplyDelete