Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Surprising Way Running Affects Your Brain (and Appetite)




Photo: Getty Images

Summary:  Running is known to have many benefits on one’s health.  For example, it reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes and heart disease.  It can also help the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (DLPFC) which is the part of the brain that controls thoughts and actions.  A recent study was done in to test what the DLPFC was used for.  The result was people had more cravings for unhealthy foods when it wasn’t working properly.  Therefore, if running helps the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex function, then it also stops cravings for junk food.
                                    
Connection with Health Class:  This article ties together the brain and nutrition.  It explains how each part of the brain has a function.  One of the functions of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex is to tell the body what it should eat and depending on how well that part of the brain is working, we eat different things.

Discussion Questions:  Do you feel drawn to certain foods after exercising? Do you always eat the same things to replenish your energy?  Do you think the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex may have more than one function?

4 comments:

  1. On a personal basis, I don't feel drawn to any foods after exercise of any sort. I tend to feel exhausted and a yearning for water, but not anything else. I usually eat around the same style of food, not the same thing exactly, and the variety works pretty well with replenishing my energy. Perhaps the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex may also control cravings in general?

    ReplyDelete
  2. After exercising, I tend to indulge myself in unhealthy foods. I will eat very sugary items, like ice cream or cookies. I do not eat the same things to replenish my energy. If I intend to exercise or use my energy for anything later in the day, I will eat healthier. For example, I will eat a banana or drink some water or Gatorade before I exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After water polo, I don't really care what food I eat, as long as I like it. My main things is that I just need /something/. That's why I usually have something like snap pea crisps, where you don't really need to think about eating it, if that makes sense, or you can eat almost as much as you want.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I experience the same thing, I have to eat but don't mind what it is. Usually I have starch, like leftover pasta or rice from the night before, I think this was an interesting article because it shows that we are still learning things about the brain.

    ReplyDelete