Thursday, October 30, 2014

Can running outside cause you to be... stupid?




             Summery: Recently, researchers from the Vrije Univesiteit in Brussels, Belgium compared blood tests measuring inflammation and thinking performance in untrained runners who either ran in a city or country spot. Pollution was compared between each environment. Pollution is tested higher in the city than the countryside. Turns out runners (such as track or joggers)  have an inflammation in there white blood cells after running. Levels of each of these measures of inflammation rose in proportion to the level of pollution exposure in city runners. Country side runners had better results on one of the cognitive (thinking) tests compared to city runners. Researchers have had an hypothesis that due to the pollution in the city and the lack of pollution in the country side. Country runners score higher on brain tests than the city runners. 
        
            Connection: In health we have talked about a Blue mind, which is when you go to the ocean or a pool and all your stress decreases. Similar to that. When you run, The environment around you can actually damage some parts in your brain. In this research, pollution can cause inflammation in the white blood cells. Sounds good right? Well those blood cell start to over power the cells in your brain. Making little space for some knowledge in the temporal lobe and can cause i slight bit difference in your line of thought.

            Question: How much do you run? Do you think that is a healthy amount of time for your body to get the health in exercise that it needs? If so, have you seen a difference in your performance in thinking? If not, what goal would you like to make to exercise more?

             URL: http://www.healthnewsobserver.com/articles/detail/can-running-outside-make-you-dumber
            

5 comments:

  1. I run every monday and thursday for about 2 miles (PE) and I practice tennis monday, tuesday, possible thirsday and Friday. I don't think I have any problems concentrating, but after I excercise, I feel happy and/ or relaxed. I want to get better at Tennis and when I run, I have that goal in mind and every lap or every mile, I feel that it helps me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I run at least once a day on weekdays i have phys ed and on weekends I run with my dog to Coyote Point. I believe that running is a good way to burn off calories and fat. Running has made me more athletic and each time i run it becomes easier and easier

    ReplyDelete
  3. I run at least a mile a day ( thanks to Mrs. Gennaro ☻) and I don't really think that's a healthy enough amount for teen, but like David Wu I play tennis and help coach tennis every Friday at central park. I run a lot that day because apparently the kids think is funny to hit the balls out of the court 'on purpose' and watch me chase for it ( some evil kids,Right? ) ,But I should really thanks them for the excise I'm getting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the least I run 1 mile a day in P.E. but still I don't think it is the right amount of exercise I should be running. Something I could do to improve my bad running habits is to try out for a sport or go out and walk on the weekends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I run almost at least 2 miles or more every week day, thanks to x country. My average mileage for the week is about 20 miles. Running miles is a really good habit because it helps me think and concentrate. It also helps you mentally because since I started doing x country it helps me keep on track and allowed me to be more determined instead of just giving up.

    ReplyDelete